This Recipe is from our Beyond Gluten Intolerance Book. Soup is a great way to get a nutritiously satisfying meal that does not require bread or pasta! Borscht Beet Soup is so cleansing and its Vibrant Color makes it a fun meal! Make some today !
- 1 Bunch of Beets and Green Tops, 4 medium, cleaned and diced
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 5 Cups of Water or Broth
- 1-2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Stalks of Celery
- 2 Medium Red Potatoes, Diced
- 1 can Tomatoes or 3 Whole, Diced
- 1/2 Head of Cabbage Sliced Thinly and Chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbs Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Lemon Wedges and or Top with Sour Cream
1. In a large pot with a lid sauté onion in the olive oil about 1 minute on medium heat.
2. Clean and peel beets and remove stems from the green tops and cut into large cubes. Red color will dissipate yet wear an apron. Add other vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper and bring water or broth to a boil.
3. Turn down the soup to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
4. Carefully not to capture the Bay Leaf, place 2-3 cups of hot soup in a blender and puree. Safely return the blended soup to the pot and stir into soup.
5. Serve with Lemon Wedges and top with Sour Cream as desired - Enjoy!
6. Recipe from Laurel's Kitchen by Laurel Robertson.