Loosing weight is not as easy as the advertisers make it seem by any means. With 67% of all Americans overweight and 31% clinically obese (60 lbs. or more over best weight), advertisers are out of control selling quick weight loss products. The challenge with loosing weight on a low-carb or gimmick diet or pills that reduce hunger - is that 9 out of 10 people put the pounds right back on as they resume their normal eating habits again.
To be successful with reaching your best weight goal you must focus on four important areas;
1.) What you eat – Calories
2.) How much energy you burn – Exercise
3.) How well your individual body functions to burn calories – Metabolism+ and the last yet the most important key factor essential for success
4.) Mental Fortitude!
Mental fortitude is a great expression meaning the ability to set goals and accomplish them. One day at a time you forge through the pain with inner strength, calmness, patience and loving affirmations towards your goals - no matter what! I tell patients to follow through as if your life depends upon it because it really does!
Risk Factors Related to Overweight & Obesity:
- Hypertension & High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol & Heart Disease (CVD)
- Gallbladder (digestive)
- Osteoarthritis (degeneration of cartilage and bone joints)
- Sleep Apnea (and other breathing problems)
- Cancer (rates double in uterine, breast, colorectal, kidney and gallbladder)
(1) Statistics taken in the US during 1999-2000 from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) reviewed 15 important risk factors related to over weight. Other complications include surgery, pregnancy, menstrual irregularities, incontinence and excess body and facial hair. I found fatigue and joint pain to also be common with carrying around extra weight. Just lift a ten-pound bag of potatoes or etc. and you will understand how much better you will feel dropping some weight. The facts are children and adults are getting heavier each year and to stop being a statistic and a slave to this unhealthy downward spiral – you can decide today to successfully loose unwanted pounds and begin to live a more enjoyable life. Philosophers throughout history have proclaimed that people become what they think about and become products of their environments.
I agree 100% that people are social creatures that model after family members, etc. and this is why support groups can be helpful in breaking away from learned behaviors. Choose the support that meets your needs like weight watchers, workout programs, individual or group counseling. They all can give people the needed mental fortitude to make changes in their eating and health habits that are almost impossible to do on their own at first. Personally I have found you don’t rely on other people to change before you do. Habits take 40 days to break and 40 days to establish new ones and focus on your own health and lead by example. Some people will never change yet you do not have to be that person.
The (2) National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) has followed successful Weight Losers and have found they all had 5 things in common in keeping the weight off.
1. They made substantial changes in their eating and physical activity habits to lose and maintain their weight and they maintain these changes.
2. They keep track of their calorie intake. (Get a resource book to easily reference calories.)
3. They eat healthy low-calorie, low-fat foods that include fruits, vegetables (low starch ones), lean meats and other high-fiber foods as tolerated.
4. They engage in 60-90 minutes of physical activity daily with walking being the most popular activity. These successful losers reported a significant improvement in their self-confidence, mood and physical health. They found maintaining their weight loss got easier over time because they began to enjoy eating healthier and being active.
5. Affirmations - A Texas woman had a similar weight loss experience that she says there is no turning back using affirmations and Aloe.
Affirmations & Aloe:
(3) Decide – Commit – Succeed is a great affirmation mantra that resonated for Darla Burkes a determined 28 year old young woman. I met Darla when she came to work in our office two years ago and she had so much interest in health that I over looked her obvious weight challenge. I was counting on the fact that health can be contagious and as you read Darla’s story you will see that is exactly what took place.
Before weight loss when asked how she felt her response was, “ Just tired!” She was always getting sick and could sleep all night and still be tired. Darla would get winded easily and battled digestive pain diagnosed as pre-ulcer. Her complexion was dull, menses irregular, hair growth was stunted and periodic depression kept her at home. The final insult was being diagnosed with high blood pressure at 27 years old and that got Darla fired up to address her health concerns including her weight. She knew pharmaceutical drugs were not the answer and began asking me about health.
I suggested she start with Aloe Vera for her digestion because digestion affects the entire health of the body and metabolism including detoxification to support weight loss.
Darla’s Daily Health Program:
1.) 1-2 oz Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice Concentrate and included a FiberMate and Daily Greens Formula to stop the GI track discomfort and encourage better regularity. It worked and she was ready for more.
2.) Stopped skipping meals and began eating 3 meals per day making healthier choices as she had learned previously in weight watchers. She began getting the payback of more energy and that gave her the motivation to continue.
3.) Her grandmother joined her crusade because she too had put unwanted weight on over the years and was developing health problems and together they drank 8 glasses of water daily and wrote down what they ate helping their awareness.
4.) Stopped eating fast foods and switched to chicken, veggie patties, turkey, and fish. Lots of vegetables with light sauces, fruits, bread and pasta products in moderation and non fat dairy products.
5.) Reduced the amount of butter, sour cream and mayo, salt and stopped sugar, sugary desserts and sodas. Sugar free fudge-sickles saved the day and coffee at breakfast.
6.) Added a supplement regimen to give extra nutritional support and then they were ready for exercise.
7.) Darla went to Beachbody.com and bought two exercise tapes that as she said could kick her bootie. She went at her own pace and explained it was hard at first yet that is where the affirmation came in so crucial for success. When she did not feel like exercising or eating right she would say to herself or write it a few times – Decide – Commit – Succeed!
Darla shared as the weeks passed she was no longer getting sick with allergies, headaches or colds, etc. like in the past and her blood pressure was normal once again. Her grandmother was feeling so much better too! The excitement kept building over the entire 6 months as the inches were coming off even faster than the weight. She averaged 5 lbs. loss per month and 6 inches from her body measurements. Darla’s advise is don’t beat yourself up if you do not do it perfect. Also don’t let others sabotage your program. There was no turning back and she is enjoying her new healthier life, smaller dress sizes and always looking forward to days off and fun activities!
There are as many different reasons as people for putting on the extra pounds yet today is a great time to take it off the healthy way. Regardless if it is 10, 60 or 160 lbs. you can be a successful loser – Decide – Commit and Enjoy your Success!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products and suggestions are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
(1) 1999-2000, NHSNES, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Service, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney diseases (NIDDK), www.niddknih.gov.
(2) National Weight Control Registry, www.nwcr.ws
(3) Affirmation from Beachbody.com who sells exercise tapes and promotes a healthier lifestyle